Ontario Health Minister Sylvia Jones says the increase in respiratory viruses that is driving a surge in pediatric hospitalizations appears to be slowing down, but only slightly.
Jones says there may be a good sign in the numbers, but she is hesitant to say they've reached a plateau in cases.
“Many of those patients are RSV (respiratory syncytial virus) related. Frankly, it’s a moving target. It goes up and down depending on how many are discharged and how many are moved. It’s data that is constantly being changed and monitored,” said Jones.
Many of the province's pediatric ICUs have been operating over capacity, however Jones was unable to give a proper number.
Jones says that while it's too early to say the surge has plateaued, she wants to assure parents their children will get the care they need.
“I want to give the people of Ontario reassurance that if your child is sick in the province of Ontario, you are going to get the healthcare you deserve and you need in a timely manner,” she added. “I completely understand your distress, your concern, but you have a government who has your back. You have a government who is supporting investments in our hospital system. "
Earlier this week, Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Kieran Moore urged people to mask up indoors in an effort to help keep young children safe and out of hospitals.
Jones announced Thursday that the Ontario government is investing over $182 million this year to support critical upgrades and repairs at 131 hospitals and 65 community health care facilities across the province.