A firefighter at the Rockview apartment complex fire (Image from Owen Sound FF L531)

Tenants displaced after fire at apartment building in Owen Sound

An apartment on the ground floor of a complex was completely destroyed and tenants have been displaced after a fire Saturday afternoon in Owen Sound.

The Owen Sound Fire Department said adjacent units were also affected by heavy smoke and water damage.

According to firefighters, the fire is believed to have started from cooking oil that was left unattended on the stove top.

The Rockview Apartments, a 20-unit building on 7th Avenue East, was evacuated and firefighters were able to contain the fire to the unit of origin.

No damage estimate has been made available, but Grey County housing staff assisted displaced residents.

Read More Local Stories